City of Carouge
Deadline: March 26, 2007
The Object of the Competition
The City of Carouge (Geneva) organizes an open biennial competition
The City of Carouge
2007 Prize will be awarded to the value of 10,000 Swiss francs (approximately
6300€). Other awards include the Bruckner Foundation Prize for the
Advancement of Ceramics, 2,000 Swiss francs (approximately 1300€)
and a prize awarded by the Swiss Ceramics Association to the value
of 1,000 Swiss francs (approximately 630€).
For the year 2007, the object to be
presented by the competitors is a pitcher (jug).
2. Competitors may deposit one project each,
presenting no more than one object, of which he or she must
be the creator. The object must be an original and recently created
- The work must be in ceramics; the use of lava, cement or any
other material is not acceptable.
- The object may be incised, stamped, enamelled (except by synthetic
enamelling) engraved or painted.
- In order to maintain anonymity, the object should bear no signature
or distinctive mark.
- No dimension of the object should exceed 40 cm.
3. Collective work presented by two or more creators
(ceramists or designers) is acceptable. This however, must be clearly
stipulated on the application form, with the names of all the artists
4. All competitors are to send in the
enclosed registration form (or a photocopy) completed and legibly
written, signed and with the following attachments only:
- a short curriculum
vitae consisting of one typewritten page, in either French,
English, German or Italian, including information on training
and most important shows
- two color photographs of good quality, printed on photographic
paper, no bigger than A5 format (148 × 210 mm), showing
the object from two different angles on a light background.
completed application package must reach the following address by
March 26, 2007:
MUSEE DE CAROUGE
c/o Mairie de Carouge
CH – 1227 CAROUGE – Switzerland
received incomplete or beyond the stipulated date will not be taken
into consideration. The application papers will not be returned.
5. A selection jury, nominated by the Municipal
Council of the City of Carouge will judge the projects presented.
Evaluation will be based on aesthetic qualities (form and decoration),
originality, functionality and technical mastery.
Any work that does not meet these conditions,
and those mentioned in article no 2, will not be accepted.
The same jury will award the City of Carouge
Prize and all other prizes available to it upon appraisal of the
received and selected works. The decisions of the jury are final
and require no justification.
The jury is under no obligation to award any
one of the prizes.
The list of selected competitors will be available
on the City of Carouge website (www.carouge.ch) as from May 30,
2007. Only selected competitors will receive confirmation by mail.
6. The works of selected competitors only will
be shown in the Musée de Carouge from September 22 to November 11,
2007. The organization committee is solely responsible for putting
on the show.
be awarded on Saturday, September 22, 2007 the opening day of the
Conditions of participation
7. The City of Carouge undertakes to deal with
- all expenses inherent to the exhibition and the promotion thereof
- insurance of the exhibited works for the duration of the exhibition,
based on the value attributed by the artist
- Swiss customs’ formalities
- expenses incurred in returning works (not including transport
- printing of an illustrated catalogue.
- Invited artists must undertake:
- to send the works to Carouge by post only
- to insure the works during their transport to and from the Museum
- to pay all expenses due to Customs in their country of origin.
The City of Carouge cannot be held responsible
for any object damaged or destroyed in transit. If an object arrives
damaged, the Museum will have it professionally restored at best
to allow exhibition.
8. All competitors undertake:
- to provide good quality photographic prints on paper. The photographs
of selected works will be reproduced in the catalogue published
for the exhibition
- to present an original work produced by themselves or in collaboration
with other artists
- to agree that the photographs of his or her work may be reproduced,
free of all rights, and used for the exhibition or for the promotion
of the competition
- to send, if selected, the work presented in the project within
the requested time limit.
9. The City of Carouge award-winning work automatically
becomes the property of the collection of the Musée de Carouge.
10. By the mere fact of submitting their project,
competitors are understood to have thereby accepted the rules. In
case of litigation, the Tribunal de Première Instance of the Canton
of Geneva has exclusive competence to settle the issue.
Download application form (pdf): English,